Audiball is a rhythm-based puzzle game designed around a guitar controller for Xbox 360. It was the first release from my company, Indiecisive Games, and it was a launch title for the Xbox Live Indie Games service. I was responsible for the game’s design, art, and music.
Audiball is available now on Xbox Live Indie Games for $0.99. Click here to go to the Xbox Live Marketplace and download the demo or buy the game. You can play without a guitar controller, too.
MTV Multiplayer featured Audiball as the inaugural title of their “Xbox Live Indie Games Showcase.” Quotes from the article:
- “Audiball is the kind of title that justifies the whole Xbox Live Indie Games initiative.”
- “…takes the idea of music-as-gameplay well beyond this generation’s rhythm games.”
- “Audiball is moving you beyond the simple single-melody structure of Rock Band and teaching you how to track a fugue, a much tougher and more satisfying activity.”
- “If you’re a fan of rhythm games and have a Guitar Hero controller you’d like to find a new use for, it’s a must-play.”
Quotes from Destructoid’s 7/10 review of Audiball:
- “Audiball is a competent puzzle game with a refreshing style.”
- “The last level…is perhaps the most striking example of good design coupled with decent puzzle gameplay.”
- “Neither repetitive nor distracting, the songs and sounds of the game add to the experience…”
- “For 200 Microsoft Points, it’s hard to find a reason not to buy this game if you’re a puzzle fanatic armed with a plastic peripheral.
Other articles about Audiball:
- “Students Launch Audiball, an Xbox Live Community Game” – Georgia Tech Newsroom
- “Audiball: Students Strum to a New Note” – The Technique
- “Audiball (Review)” – Altered Confusion
- “Audiball” – XNPlay
Audiball was my first attempt at game design, and although the game turned out well overall, there are plenty of things I would change if I could do it again. I wrote up a fairly lengthy postmortem detailing the game’s production process from start to finish. It was a great learning experience, and I’ll always be grateful for it.
A few players have asked for the game’s soundtrack, and although I can’t imagine why, here it is for download. Individual tracks are below in MP3 format, or you can download a ZIP of the whole thing here: [Download 9.2 MB]