AudiballÂ is a rhythm-based puzzle game designed around a guitar controller for Xbox 360. It was the first release from my company, Indiecisive Games, and it was a launch title for the Xbox Live Indie Games service. I was responsible for the game’s design, art, and music.
AudiballÂ is available now on Xbox Live Indie Games for $0.99.Â Click hereÂ to go to the Xbox Live Marketplace and download the demo or buy the game. You can play without a guitar controller, too.
MTV MultiplayerÂ featuredÂ AudiballÂ as the inaugural title of their “Xbox Live Indie Games Showcase.” Quotes from the article:
- “AudiballÂ is the kind of title that justifies the whole Xbox Live Indie Games initiative.”
- “…takes the idea of music-as-gameplay well beyond this generation’s rhythm games.”
- “AudiballÂ is moving you beyond the simple single-melody structure ofÂ Rock BandÂ and teaching you how to track a fugue, a much tougher and more satisfying activity.”
- “If you’re a fan of rhythm games and have aÂ Guitar HeroÂ controller you’d like to find a new use for, it’s a must-play.”
Quotes fromÂ Destructoid’s 7/10 reviewÂ ofÂ Audiball:
- “AudiballÂ is a competent puzzle game with a refreshing style.”
- “The last level…is perhaps the most striking example of good design coupled with decent puzzle gameplay.”
- “Neither repetitive nor distracting, the songs and sounds of the game add to the experience…”
- “For 200 Microsoft Points, itâ€™s hard to find a reason not to buy this game if youâ€™re a puzzle fanatic armed with a plastic peripheral.
Other articles aboutÂ Audiball:
- â€œStudents Launch Audiball, an Xbox Live Community Gameâ€Â – Georgia Tech Newsroom
- â€œAudiball: Students Strum to a New Noteâ€Â – The Technique
- â€œAudiball (Review)â€Â – Altered Confusion
- â€œAudiballâ€Â – XNPlay
AudiballÂ was my first attempt at game design, and although the game turned out well overall, there are plenty of things I would change if I could do it again. I wrote up aÂ fairly lengthy postmortemÂ detailing the game’s production process from start to finish. It was a great learning experience, and I’ll always be grateful for it.
A few players have asked for the game’s soundtrack, and although I can’t imagine why, here it is for download. Individual tracks are below in MP3 format, or you can download a ZIP of the whole thing here: [DownloadÂ 9.2 MB]